Thursday, July 22, 2010

Jodie Williams is on top of the world as she storms to 100m gold at Junior Championships

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwqj2axTSMUendofvid
[starttext]
By Ralph Ellis

Top of the world: Jodie Williamssurges ahead of her rivals to storm to victory in the 100 metres IAAF World Junior Athletics Championships final in Canada


England's new junior sprint queen Jodie Williams clinched gold on Wednesday night in the World Junior Championships in Moncton, Canada, with a sizzling 100m run in just 11.40sec.

The 16-year-old extended her winning streak to a remarkable 149 races since she began running five years ago.

Williams had cruised into the final by winning her semi in 11.59 - the fastest time recorded in the three heats and was thrilled to taste gold in the final.


Just champion: Williams celebrates her stunning 11.40 sec triumph


She said: 'I knew it was going be a close race and I wasn't quite sure I could come out and perform again, so it's obviously a huge relief and the pressure has lifted a bit.
'I thought that if I got off to a good start I'd be in with a good chance and that's just what I did'

Last night's gold justified her decision to concentrate on the age group event rather than try to run in next week's European Championships in Barcelona, even though her times could win her medals among the seniors.

'I know the day I get beaten will come eventually, but my winning streak has given me great confidence coming here and getting a medal is brilliant,' added WIlliams.

'This is another step up for me. The next step is the World Seniors so this is a stepping stone but it means a lot, it's a great achievement.'


All gold: Yet to taste defeat, sprint sensation Williams raises her gold medal


World champion Allyson Felix backed that plan, saying: 'My one piece of advice for her is to enjoy what is a really special time in your career. Take it slowly and learn a lot.'

The schoolgirl from Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire will try for a sprint double in the 200m. [endtext]

No comments:

Post a Comment