Monday, July 19, 2010

TOUR DE FRANCE 2010: Christophe Riblon wins first stage in Pyrenees, as Bradley Wiggins concedes defeat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AbzbwzXSnsendofvid
[starttext]
By Ivan Speck in Ax Trois Domaines

A Brit of a disaster: Bradley Wiggins (left) ended the latest stage of the Tour down in 36th place


A banner on the lower slopes of the Port de Pailheres yesterday read: 'Welcome to hell.'

For Britain's Bradley Wiggins it was exactly that as his remaining Tour de France ambitions exploded in a Pyreneean haze.

The Team Sky rider trailed in 36th, one second shy of five minutes after stage winner, France's Christophe Riblon, and looked for all the world like a man who has had his fill of mountain climbing.

Trouble is, he has three more days of it to endure, including scaling the giant Col du Tourmalet, once from each direction.


Pure delight: Christophe Riblon of France celebrates his victory on the 14th stage


Wiggins said: 'To be honest, I've got nothing. I just haven't got the form. It's as simple as that. I'm trying my hardest and battling on rather than giving up. I just haven't got it as I did last year. I don't know why. I just feel consistently mediocre.'

Realistically, Wiggins's only salvation now may be Saturday's time trial out of Bordeaux, perhaps also the final chance for Team Sky to claim a stage win in what has been a troubling first Tour. It is all so different at the head of the race.


Still the leader: Andy Schleck in his yellow jersey (left) shadows Alberto Contador


A four-day duel began with a game of cat and mouse between Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador. So concerned were the two giants of this year's Tour on the final climb up to Ax Trois Domaines that they almost allowed their private battle to become public once more.

They slowed down so dramatically at one point that they were caught up and left behind by Samuel Sanchez and Denis Menchov, third and fourth overall, respectively, and then had to work with each other to limit their deficit.


Simply beautiful: The pack climbs towards Pailheres pass during the 14th stage


Schleck admitted his plan was to deny Contador the chance to gain vital seconds.

He said: 'I couldn't pass him today. I had to stay in his wheel. His plan was to take the yellow jersey today so I guess he's not happy. 'I have a lot of pressure on my shoulders but I won't break down.'


[endtext]

No comments:

Post a Comment